STEAM education for students in Camden, NJ
LEAP Academy provides a college preparatory education with an emphasis on the content areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM). The academic program is anchored on multi-disciplinary collaborations that are supported by opportunities for students to engage in active, integrated, and self-directed learning across grade levels.
Every school building offers:
- Extended Day and Extended Year of Instruction
- A College Access Office that focuses on academic support and college readiness
- Arts and Athletics Programs
- Access to computers and technology with wireless connection
- Space for parents to visit and engage
- Staff to support students with counseling and socio-emotional services
- Strong character and leadership development programs to ensure that students develop important non-cognitive skills and civic responsibility
- Extended Enrichment and Tutoring Programs after school
- Summer Programming
Serving students in grades K-12, the schools are divided into 4 sites, each serving a cluster of grades: K-3, 4-6, 7-8, and 9-12. Grade clustering provides for a sharp focus on the specific developmental and academic needs of each student. Teams of faculty work together vertically and horizontally to ensure continuity, proper progression of teaching, and learning, and articulation across grade levels. This kind of alignment is critical to sustaining a solid, rigorous and sustainable educational pipeline through 12th grade and beyond.
The academic program is anchored on multi-disciplinary collaborations that are supported by opportunities for students to engage in active, integrated and self-directed learning across grade levels.
LEAP schools are located within Camden’s “Education Corridor”, which also features campuses for Rutgers University, Rowan University, and Camden County College. The location of LEAP among three institutions of higher education allows for Camden children to start their education in infancy at the Early Learning Research Academy, proceed to the LEAP Academy, and transition to higher education all along Cooper Street in Camden, NJ.
The partnerships with our neighboring institutions of higher education extend academic alignment to college by affording students the opportunity to take courses in a university college as part of their academic program and for LEAP teachers and staff to work with college faculty to align instruction in ways that lead to an effective transition from high school to college.