Serving students in grades 4-6
The Upper Elementary School serves 360 children in grades 4-6 and builds on the foundational skills learned in K-3. The school focuses on providing every student with a strong academic foundation in math and language arts using integrated approaches that incorporate science, social studies and world languages.
Developing Communication Skills & Nurturing Values
- An academic program delivered through content specialized departments to ensure that students are taught Mathematics and Language Arts by content certified teachers.
- Strong focus on English/Language Arts skills development to ensure that students become strategic readers, writers, and oral communicators.
- Varied opportunities for students to expand thinking skills (including metacognitive and critical-thinking skills), and to develop the necessary habits of mind, motivation to learn and independence as a learner.
- Structured opportunities for students to develop life skills such as articulating a vision, decision making, building self-confidence and self-discipline, and accepting responsibility to complete tasks from start to finish.
- A commitment to nurturing important values, including team-building skills, respecting alternative viewpoints, and appreciating and being aware of different cultures and traditions.
Welcome to the Upper Elementary School
As principal of grades 4-8 and a LEAP family member for 16 years, it is my personal commitment to ensure that we teach students to be critical thinkers, lifelong learners and leaders. Collectively, our students and staff maintain a school environment that is safe, positive and has an intense focus on mastering the Common Core State Standards, and the competencies that are necessary for our students to be college and career ready. We stand by our promise that every child will achieve academic excellence, and to do so we have assembled an amazing team of teachers, support staff and a wide variety of educational resources to ensure that every student has everything they need to be successful. This is our commitment to all parents and students.
Our commitment to children goes beyond academics and integrates opportunities for students to develop their own social and emotional capacity. We expect that our students and staff will be able to build and maintain a cohesive sense of community and learn to be “Pro-Kind” each and every day. It is my belief that all members of the educational community are accountable for the academic future of our students and that they are working to create a nurturing, safe and secure learning environment. We have high expectations for all of our staff and welcome your partnership and collaboration. We expect that all of our students will demonstrate interest, enthusiasm, motivation and pleasure for learning.
Children are our greatest natural resource. As your school principal, I take my educational responsibility to children very seriously. I believe that it is my responsibility to assist teachers and students in their learning journey. High quality instruction and positive engagement is at the core of our school for every student, in every classroom, every day. It is my goal to lead and produce magic!!
Thank you for allowing us to serve you!
“People don’t care how much we know until they know how much we care.” —Author Unknown
5th Grade Teacher Fellowdmercer@leap.rutgers.edu
Special Education Teacherjkogan@leap.rutgers.edu
Special Education Teachersmungiole@leap.rutgers.edu
READ 180/ELA Teachernjonesemail@example.com
Special Area Teachers (Arts, Dance, Music,Theater, GYM & ESL, Spanish)
View & Download Menus for Upper Elementary Students
Food is cooked daily in each school. The staff works diligently to provide balanced and nutritious meals. Menus are available each week.
English as a Second Language (ESL) Program
LEAP Academy’s ESL Program aims to provide culturally and linguistically responsive education for all English language learners to ensure equitable access to opportunities that promote language acquisition, life long learning, and global citizenship.